|The originally named Oamaru Municipal Town Hall and Opera House was officially opened on 7 October 1907. Designed for the Oamaru Borough Council by Oamaru architect John Megget Forrester, building contractors Henry Winsley and Sons won the tender to build this most elegant two storey Oamaru stone structure for a final cost of £10,600.
The style can be described as Edwardian baroque, popular in New Zealand in the decade up to 1914. It was a style favoured for important civic and government buildings.
The Oamaru Opera House is one of the most significant heritage places in Oamaru, important to the town and nationally to New Zealand for its historic, social, aesthetic and scientific values. This is recognised by its registration under the Historic Places Act and its listing on the District Plan. Registered as Category II under section 22 of the Historic Places Act 1993 The Oamaru Opera House is regarded as a place of ‘historical or cultural significance or value’.
|The Opera House has been used as a hub for social, political and entertainment engagement in Oamaru. From coronations to operas, theatre, music, fundraising and films the Opera House has represented the heart, soul and passions of Oamaru.|